Thursday, September 3, 2009

Goat Milk

EDIT: Something's wrong with the image uploader. I'll try it again before we head out. Pretty tired last night. Thought I published this. Also looks like the pictures are kind of blurry, but you can probably make out what the stuff is supposed to be.

EDIT2: Fixed.

---


Alright. We're stopping in Flagstaff for the night for some food and a good night's sleep.



We've done some goofing around, and we're happy we took the time to see the Grand Canyon, but this is not a travel blog. We'll have a lot to think about when we get to North Carolina. Among potential distractions, one of them is pretty key to the project and we told ourselves that given the opportunity, we'd take a look at it:


Goat milk is going to be a large source of fat, protein, riboflavin, calcium, phosphorus and potassium. In addition, the goats will be our only source of cheese, and our only source of milk. This whole thing will work better if I'm able to stomach goat milk.

We went to the grocery across the street to pick up some grub and noticed that they sold cartons of goat milk. I've never had it. Redline has, and he told me to point out that this is the wimpy, ultra-pasteurized version. This is true, but it's still goat milk. Some people think they taste the same. We'll see. I'm going to try it in a little bit and I'll write it up after.

Some no-frills guacamole:


Yes, that's a cherry tomato sitting with what's left of an avocado.

-Later-

Ok, I tried it. While there are a number of similarities, the fact is that goat milk is a little different from cow milk. Smell, initial flavor, visual appeal, drinkability are all similar. There's an aftertaste that just isn't there in cow milk. It's not gross or anything, but it's there, it is unmistakable, and it is a presence I'm not accustomed to in milk.

It reminds me of goat cheese. Maybe I should have expected that. I've never gone out of my way to eat goat cheese (and this could become another potential hurdle later). I don't hate it, but with soooo many other great cheeses to choose from, I just never got around to it, and never tried very hard to make the time.

-Later Still-

I've now had three cups of goat milk. When I drink the milk by itself, I seem to focus on the aftertaste and it's still a bit foreign. As a supplementary test, I drank a cup of goat milk with a slice of bread covered with lots of Nutella. I couldn't pick up the aftertaste over the gobs of chocolate. Without the aftertaste, I have a hard time telling the difference.

I don't think it will be an issue, but that's easy to say while I'm standing on this side of goat milk every day for months on end.

More tomorrow.


-CheeZ


3 comments:

  1. With a name like Cheez, I doubt you'll dislike goat cheese. I personally love the stuff. Tastes great. But, I think the only place I get it is on salads and sopes. Then again, when I eat too much of the stuff, i tend to need to go... Could be the cheese could be the grease could be the ruffage...

    Never drank the stuff though, especially not straight from the goat itself. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Boys,
    Are you expecting goats up there? Do you have one you are planning to purchase? And are you experienced in milking a goat? Or a cow? Poor goat. Perhaps you should try leaving a carton goats milk out and drink it warm to get the true experience. Good Luck. My word for you of the day is "Lactaid". 286.
    HI NATE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi margaret,

    We'll add a goat to the operation before too long. When I was looking around online, I found a number of goat farms in Tennessee. We'll probably pick one up from there when we're ready. Poor goat, indeed.

    I found this neat contraption online: http://www.udderlyezllc.com/ that might help us milk the goats efficiently. Or else they might just get mad and eat my shoelaces.

    Word is that goat milk is nice and easy on the stomach. Even people who can't drink cow milk have little trouble with goat milk.

    ReplyDelete