Friday, September 4, 2009

Post Title

We just pulled in to Taos, elevation 6,950 feet. The lady at the front desk tells me there's a ski resort around here.

Don't mind me. I'm a little tired and just kind of looking to decompress so I'm going to ramble for a while while I still have it in me. I'll get to the vegetables in a bit, though it's not quite as extensive as I thought it would be. I'll have to follow up on the topic later.

Maybe it's a good thing to have these travel entries to practice on. I think I need to get in the habit of doing a daily recap. This should help.

Redline picked up a new camera today. The pictures are much better quality, as you'll see. Of course, that means we took quite a few to test it out; probably more than was really needed.

We made a detour when we got word that there was a petrified forest in Arizona. The idea of a petrified forest conjured up some wild images in my head. Turns out it's a bunch of stuff laying on the ground. I'll admit I lost interest upon discovering that.



We've enjoyed the landscape and the weather has been pretty wild. Big clouds dropping big rain that you can see from miles away. And something that looked like a funnel cloud.





The terrain in New Mexico has been pretty dramatic. Lots of majesty towering over the interstate. We also saw a tow truck towing a truck that was towing a boat.






We talked a bit about the food he plans to grow while he lives out there. It's important to note that there will be two different places that will be tasked with producing food. The interior food production will produce most of the necessary food, but because it'll be fed with greywater, he won't grow any subterranian vegetables like onion, carrot and garlic. That stuff will have to be done outside in the greenhouse, which will be fed by collected rainwater.

I'll talk about this more tomorrow. In the meantime, here's most of the list. There might be more. He'll know for certain once he finishes the install on his laptop. Seems he typed out most of the stuff so he didn't have to remember it. Sounds familiar.

Grain
Buckwheat
Amaranth (technically not a grain, but quite awesome).

Vegetables he's certain of:
Purple Carrots
Roma and cherry tomatoes
Bok Choi
Red Cabbage
Alfalfa/Bean Sprouts
Wheat Grass
Beets
Celery
Purple Corn
Cucumbers
Garbanzo Beans
Mushrooms
Red Onions
Green Onions
Parsley
Bell Peppers (orange/yellow for sure, maybe some red and green)
Saurkraut
Garlic

Vegetables he may or may not grow:
Eggplant
Greenbeans
Jalapeno
Water Chestnut

Fruits to be grown inside:
Strawberry
Blueberry
Avocado
Lemon
Kiwi
Banana

Some fruit trees that he'll plant. If they live, great. If not, no biggie:
Apple
Olive
Date
Grapefruit

In addition, he'll grow a lot of herbs and spices.

I'll follow up on this after he gets access to his notes. There's a lot more to say.

That's it for tonight, folks. Gotta be up to get to Earthship HQ. I'll close out with more pictures from the drive today.


- CheeZ











1 comment:

  1. Taos has a ski resort? NO WAY! Too bad it's summertime... j/k

    I'm liking the results from the new camera... I agree on the petrified forest, not quite as spectacular as expected huh? Either way, it's good to hear you're taking detours to have some "experiences". Having done the cross-country road trip once myself, I doubt I'll ever do it again. Enjoy it! That way I can live vicariously through you two...

    ReplyDelete